LESOTHO GOVERNMENT GAZETTE
Vol. XLIV Wednesday-10th March ,1999 No.16
Lesotho Iodization Regulation, 1999
Medical, Dental and Pharmacy (Decrees (Amendment) Regulation, 1999
Lesotho Fund for Community Development Notice, 1999
Lesotho Fund for Community Development Regulations1999
Declaration of a selected Development Area (Plot No No. Misc Plan 1/99 Phomolong Maseru South Urban Area) Notice, 1999
Publishd by the authority of His MAJESTY THE King
Price : 90 Lisente
LEGAL NOTICE NO. 13 OF 1999
Lesotho Iodization Regulations,1999
Pursuant to section 71 of the Public Health Order 1970,I,
Minister of Health, male the following Regulations:-
1. These regulations may be cited as Lesotho Salt Iodization Regulations,1999 and shall come into operation on the date of publication in the Gazette.
2. In these Regulations, unless the context requires otherwise, “food grade salt” means salt containing not less than 97% crystalline sodium chloride on a dry matter basis, including table salt coarse salt;”impermeable packaging material” means material which may consist of one or more of the following substances: low density polyethylene, high polyethylene, woven polypropylene or similar materials ,and includes polycoated cardboard;”iodated salt” and food grade salt or other salt intended for human and animal consumption to which between 40 and
90 ppm (mg/kg) iodine in the form of potassium iodated has been added;”low sodium salt” means salt containing less than 67% sodium chloride;”the Order” means the Public Health Order,1970,Order No.12 of 1970,and any expression to which a meaning has been assigned in the Order shall bear that meaning;”table salt” means salt that contains no more than 4% moisture and 40-60 ppm(mg/kg)fluride and not less than 98.4% sodium chloride in its water free state.Top
3. A manufacturer shall ensure that:-
a) Food grade salt or other salt intended for human or animal consumption which is imported into Lesotho shall contain between 40 and 6o ppm(m/kg)iodine and labeled “iodated salt”;
b) Iodated salt is to be packed in sealed impermeable packaging material with a lining of high
c) The date of iodations is to be indicated on the label of the product together with other information such as lot or batch number, manufacture date, expiration date of the salt and net weight thereto.
4. 1) Health Inspectors shall conduct and administer random check tests at retail level to monitor salt iodine quality and levels.
2) Customer and Excise official shall conduct random check tests at all ports entry into Lesotho to monitor salt iodine levels on all imported salt. Top
5. 1) No person shall-
a) Import into Lesotho ; or b) Sell
Food grade or other salt intended for human or animal consumption unless iodine has been added thereto.
2) A person who contravenes the provisions of sub-regulation (1) commits an offence and is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding on thousand maloti or imprisonment for a period not exceeding one year, or both fine and imprisonment.
3) In addition to a fine or imprisonment imposed under sub-regulation (2), the Health Inspection shall confiscate such salt.
6. These Regulations shall not apply to food grade salt or other salt indented for-
a) Use in the manufacture of compound food stuffs which is packed in bags of 20 kg or more and labeled “non-iodated”; or
b) Experimenting purposes Top
Minister of Health
1. Order No. 12 of 1970